Microsoft has announced that a few of the Office products are reaching the end of their mainstream support, which will end on October 13th, 2020. Microsoft extended support, however, will remain in place until October of 2025. What is the difference between Mainstream support and extended support?
- Mainstream support: Mainstream support starts right after product release. It typically lasts 5 years and means that a product will receive both security and non-security updates. The product will also still receive design and feature changes.
- Extended support: Extended support starts immediately following the ending of mainstream support. At this point, the product won’t receive any new features or changes. Updates will be focused strictly on fixing security issues and major stability issues only.
The applications that will be affected by this can be found below.
Important: Office 2010 Service Pack 2 will be reaching its end of support entirely on October 13th, 2020.
Mainstream Support End Date – 10/13/2020 (Extended support until 10/14/2025)
- Office Standard 2016
- Office Professional Plus 2016
- Office Professional 2016
- Office 2016 Home and Student
- Office Home and Business
Mainstream Support End Date – 10/10/2023 (Extended support until 10/14/2025)
- Office Standard 2019
- Office Professional Plus 2019
- Office Professional 2019
- Office Home and Student 2019
- Office Home and Business 2019
Important: The end of both mainstream and extended support for Office 2016 for Mac will end on October 13th, 2020. This means you will no longer receive Office 2016 for Mac software updates, security updates, or technical support regarding this product.
What are your options when these products go out of support?
Although you’ll still be able to use these products, you’ll no longer be receiving feature updates or changes after October 13th, 2020. Upgrade to a newer version of Office in order to stay up to date with the latest features, patches, and security updates. Microsoft’s recommendation is to upgrade to Microsoft 365, the subscription version of Office that comes with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other apps depending on the plan you choose. Microsoft 365 offers apps available on your computer and via your web browser. Mac users also have the option to buy Office 2019 for Mac which is a one-time purchase for installation on one Mac only.
You can find a full list of product lifecycles here.
If you have any questions or would like to find out ways Mnemonix can assist you with your IT needs, you can contact us directly at (616) 855-2847 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.